February 19, 2008

What's For Dinner

I had to make a last minute change to our menu tonight. I was planning to make cream of broccoli soup, but I forgot to soak my soybeans last night so that I could make soy milk with our SoyaPower soy milk maker. Therefore, I had to change things up a bit.

I decided I'd make tomorrow's dinner instead. Along with our baked potatoes, I made curried lentils over rice. Lentils aren't normally something that #2 son enjoys eating and when he saw them cooking on the stove he wasn't very thrilled. I told him to hold off on sharing his opinion until he tried them.

I got this recipe some time ago from The Urban Homemaker. I went back to her website tonight to see if I could find it, but couldn't. Here it is:

CURRIED LENTILS
1 T. oil
1-1 1/2 c. chopped onions
2 cloves minced garlic or 1 t. powder
1-1 1/2 c. rinsed lentils
5 c. water
1/4 c. tomato powder or 1 - 14oz. can tomatoes
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. turmeric
1/2 t. curry powder
dash cayenne pepper to taste

Sauté onions in oil in a large pot for two minutes. Add garlic and sauté briefly. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer until lentils are soft, yet firm. (In other words, when you remove them from the pot they should still have a nice round shape and not be mushy like mashed potatoes.) Serve hot over rice.

*************************************

To make the rice, put 1 tablespoon of Soy Garden Spread (or whatever kind of butter/margarine you like) in a 2 quart sauce pot and heat just until melted. Then add 2 cups of long grain white rice (not instant) to the pot, stirring until the rice is well coated. Heat rice until lightly browned, watching it carefully so that it doesn't burn. Once rice is browned to your liking, pour in four cups of water. Lastly, add 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast flakes and 2 Tablespoons of your favorite seasoning. (I use Herbamare Original) Stir well and place a tight fitting lid on the pot.

Next, bring your water to a rolling boil, then turn the heat down to simmer and let rice cook until all the water has evaporated. This takes about 20 minutes. Avoid lifting the lid during cooking time as this will let too much steam escape and your rice won't cook properly. Also, it isn't necessary to stir the rice while it's cooking. Rice is better left alone and only stirred just before serving.
Well, I got a resounding A+ from everyone for tonight's dinner. In fact #2 son said, "These are the only lentils I'll ever eat mom." Overall, it was a simple meal to prepare and because it was delicious, it made it on the kids list for "make that again" and on mom's list of "health food". Next time, I'll try to make it with brown rice instead. This will boost the nutritional value, but because of time restraints tonight, I opted for the white rice. Happy eating!

No comments:

*Notice*
The graphics that are used on this blog are not mine. Please be so kind as to visit the artist's sites and abide by their "TERMS OF USE". If you find any graphics that haven't been given proper credit or anything else that needs mended, please e-mail me so I can act promptly. I admire the artist's and their talent so I want to give the proper credit where it's due. Thanks very much!

Photobucket
Backwoods Home Magazine - practical ideas for self-reliant living
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey