March 24, 2008

This, That, And The Other Thing

My youngest nephew came over, spent the night on Saturday and got to spend the entire day with us on Sunday. It was nice to have him here. He didn't cause a bit of trouble and really did a good job at lending a hand to my #2 teenage son, who spent several hours spreading stone in our lane. It's been so unusually rainy this winter and due to the large amounts we've received, our property is totally saturated. Some areas of our property look like ponds. We've even have geese fly down and spend the night here.

Since moving into this old farmhouse about six years ago, we haven't been able to lay a proper drive. Oh, we've had good intentions to do so, but one thing or another kept getting in the way. However, it's gotten to the point where we just couldn't ignore it any longer. Thanks be to God that we had enough in tax returns to cover at least part of the stone purchase. We weren't able to get all the stone that is needed to finish it completely, but it's enough to get us by, at least for a little while.

While the boys were out working and later, bike riding, I was busy inside trying to get my grocery list and meal plans for this week prepared. I was also able to get four loads of laundry done and managed to make two batches of wheat gluten steaks. I sent some home with my sister. She's never had them before and I'm hoping that her family will all like them.

During our dinner yesterday, my nephew wanted to watch "Honey I Blew Up the Kid". (He borrowed it from my MIL who happens to live next door to us). I didn't have any plans to sit and watch the entire movie as I had already seen it many years ago and didn't recall it to be very good. However, the longer I sat, the more I got sucked in... it was much funnier than I remembered. It was fun cause we sat there together just engrossed and then all of a sudden, something funny would happen and we would all burst out laughing at the same time.

It's the little things that we'll remember the longest!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh wow on the drive, i remember we got so much rain once when I lived at home that when we drove into the drive the car sank to the frame so needless to say we pulled the car out and had to borrow from my grandparents to get stone otherwise no more using the driveway

VJ said...

So, how did the gluten steaks turn out? I need to make more for my family; they really enjoy them!

R.M. Jackson said...

Nice blog! Do you have a recipe for your steaks? I've been using Bryanna's recipes over at veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com, but I'm open to a new one.

Anonymous said...

When are you going to post something mom??? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????

*Notice*
The graphics that are used on this blog are not mine. Please be so kind as to visit the artist's sites and abide by their "TERMS OF USE". If you find any graphics that haven't been given proper credit or anything else that needs mended, please e-mail me so I can act promptly. I admire the artist's and their talent so I want to give the proper credit where it's due. Thanks very much!

Photobucket
Backwoods Home Magazine - practical ideas for self-reliant living
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey