September 26, 2007

New Recipe

My husband is (IMO) not typical when it comes to things he likes to eat for breakfast. The rest of us are completely satisfied with the normal fare of fruit, pancakes, waffles, French toast, hot/cold cereal, toast and the like. My sweet man however, prefers big dinner type breakfasts that will carry him through for 5-6 hrs at a time. He has told me that pancakes and similar meals just don't do that for him. One of his favorite breakfasts consist of scrambled tofu, fried potatoes and toast. Actually, any meal that has potatoes of some kind is a winner for him. Thankfully, we all like that too!

Being that we are vegetarian (leaning more toward vegan) it has been rather difficult for me to come up with a dish that hits that special spot for my sweetie. The other day I found a recipe and was very hopeful that I'd be able to add this one to our regular menu plan. As I read through the ingredients it had brown rice AND potatoes. Two dishes he loves... this one had potential!

I quickly printed it out and set out to make breakfast. We were sitting there enjoying each other's company, eating away, and the next thing I hear from sweetie is: "I like this, this is really good!" Then the children chimed in with similar sentiments. That was music to my ears! Needless to say, I'll be fixing this dish again, and regularly.

HURRY-UP HEARTY HASH

2 C. cooked brown rice
1/2 C. sauteed onions
1/2 C. chopped celery
1/4 C. brewers yeast flakes
2 C. shredded raw potatoes, unpeeled
2 T. oil
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. garlic powder (optional)
2 T. soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos

Wash the potatoes well and remove any spots. Shred on a medium shredder. Combine all ingredients. Stir well enough to mix. Place into a lightly oiled skillet on medium heat. Cover and let cook until nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Scrape from the bottom of skillet and turn. Cover and let cook 10 minutes longer. Stir and reduce heat, let cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve.

Servings: 6

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it was!

Lore said...

I've been looking for a recipe that has Brewer's Yeast! Thanks for posting it! I will try it this week.
God Bless.

Debbie Ann said...

Hi Lore-
If you need more recipes that include yeast flakes just say the word. I have other recipes that call for them too.

Sheree' said...

I make a similar dish, but has added kidney beans. I love nutrional flakes. They are so good. Have you ever checked out Susan's site fatfreevegan.com? She has recipes for everything.

*Notice*
The graphics that are used on this blog are not mine. Please be so kind as to visit the artist's sites and abide by their "TERMS OF USE". If you find any graphics that haven't been given proper credit or anything else that needs mended, please e-mail me so I can act promptly. I admire the artist's and their talent so I want to give the proper credit where it's due. Thanks very much!

Photobucket
Backwoods Home Magazine - practical ideas for self-reliant living
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey