September 25, 2007

Sunday's Hog Roast/Family Reunion

Photo Courtesy of: FulcrumGallery

This past Sunday we journeyed three hours from home to go to my husband's Aunt Mayme Ruth's farm for her annual Hog Roast. This is always a big event where, not just family, but area neighbors and church goers are invited to attend too. I took vegetarian dishes of course. Things that would go over well with the meat eaters. Surprisingly, my huge bowl of potato salad was the only one there. I also took a pasta salad, a big pot of green beans with garden potatoes mixed in, and a bit of chunky applesauce. There was so much food, no one could have possibly tasted everything.

September 23rd was chosen this year because it was Aunt Mayme Ruth's 89th birthday. You wouldn't know it to watch her though. She's always right in the middle of all the activity and can keep up with the best of'em.

There were games of horseshoes, football and a few rounds of volleyball going on. Of course, if you're a Colts fan, you might have been seen indoors from time to time catching a glimpse to see what the score was. The littlest ones among us had fun jumping in the inflatable bounce house nearby. As for me, I just had a wonderful time laughing and visiting with all of my husband's cousins and catching up on the events of each other's lives since we gathered together last year.

Something that always catches my attention is the closeness of Aunt Mayme Ruth's daughters. She has five girls, (two boys) and they are just the best of friends. For the most part, they all live nearby to one another and from our talks I found that they do a lot of things for, and with each other. I've never once seen a negative look or heard a negative word between any of them. That's a wonderful example and exactly how it should be! :)

Thanks for everything `Aunt Mayme Ruth, Nancy, Ellen, Faye, Louann, Molly, David and Garrell!`

My favorite dish served that day:
(made by my mother in-law)
SWEET AND SOUR "BURGER" LOAF

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 stick margarine
1 c. chopped onion
4. c. dried, herb stuffing mix
1 1/4 c. water
1 1/2 c soy cheddar cheese
4 eggs (may substitute with soft tofu)
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. sage
1 20 oz. Can Worthington Veg. Burger (may sub. with Morn. Star Veggie Crumbles)

Saute' onions in margarine. Add to remaining ingredients and mix throughly. Place in greased 2qt. baking dish.

GLAZE:
1/2 c. catsup
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. hot water

Mix all ingredients together and pour over top of loaf, spreading evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy, I can't wait to try this recipe!

Penny said...

This DOES sound good. We'll be trying this one. :)

Unknown said...

We had the loaf for dinner tonight, it was a winner!

Debbie Ann said...

Ann: So glad you liked it. I just love this loaf and could eat it, easily, once a week. However, my family doesn't share the same love for it that I do. They like it, but don't love it.

The next time I make it, I'm going to cut the sugar content in half. My kids complain that the glaze is too sweet for them. I may even try it w/o the glaze all-together.

Debbie Ann said...

Hi Penny!
Please let me know how it turns out for you & yours. I hope you really enjoy it.

*Notice*
The graphics that are used on this blog are not mine. Please be so kind as to visit the artist's sites and abide by their "TERMS OF USE". If you find any graphics that haven't been given proper credit or anything else that needs mended, please e-mail me so I can act promptly. I admire the artist's and their talent so I want to give the proper credit where it's due. Thanks very much!

Photobucket
Backwoods Home Magazine - practical ideas for self-reliant living
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey